Monday, July 20, 2009

Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris Named 'Worst Airport to Sleep In'


Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris was named the "Worst Airport to Sleep In" by SleepingInAirports.net, a site which seems pretty determined to cover one very niche subject. (Seriously though, that's an awesome name; how did someone already have the dot-com there?)

There are a TON of reasons why de Gaulle is listed by the site's readers as the worst airport, but this is probably my favorite (if only because, well, being propositioned multiple times while traveling seems like the worst possible thing that could happen to anyone who wasn't seeking a sexual encounter.)

"I was propositioned not once but twice by the same man asking me for casual sex, which was understandably a little frightening for a lone 20 year old woman wandering the airport at night"
Yeah, so that's beyond creepy -- you can almost guarantee that it's some older dude with a weird accent too. Crazy foreigners!

Seriously though, de Gaulle is listed on the site as a "must-read" because it's so bad, which kind of amazes me, given the other airports listed, especially Los Angeles Airport and O'Hare, two places I've visited recently, and two places that are gross.

O'Hare is significantly better than LAX, I guess, but still, not great. And LAX just made me want to vomit the entire time I was there; for such a posh (theoretically anyway) city to rock out such a shoddy place for its visitors to see on the way in/out is almost inexcusable.

I'd also like to take a moment and point out that, although it would never be mentioned because it's not really a "major" airport despite being international, PTI in Greensboro, NC, which is where I generally fly out of, is just awful. 90% of the filth/smell of PTI is because up until about five years ago, you could smoke in there, but still, just not a fun place to sleep.

0 comments: