Wednesday, December 3, 2008

German Markets Put an Old School Spin a Commercialized Holiday

Ramsey Qubein is Travelin' Light's on-the-road correspondent.

The Christmas season is in full swing, and no one does it better than our friends in Germany. Their hearty Christmas markets usher in the holiday spirit in cities across the country with rows of decked-out stalls selling handicrafts, homemade gingerbread cookies, gluhwein (mulled wine), toys, candles, ornaments, and personalized gifts.

It’s more than the stalls though. It’s the festive feeling in the air. As people jostle through the crowds (and jostle is a nice word for it), you come up close and personal with more than your fair share of locals. But, the mood is light and the smiles ear-to-ear. Live choirs and music perform on a regular schedule, children cling to parents’ hands, and, if you’re lucky as I was in both Nuremberg and Strasbourg, a light snow will begin to fall.

Yes, that’s right, I said Strasbourg. Even France, Switzerland, and Austria put out an equally impressive showing for their Christmas markets. Some might say that the Spanish and Italians get into the act, but Germany is by far the leader in this area of expertise.

What is it with Americans and shopping in a mall or online? I admit, I’m an online fanatic. But, there is something to be said for a souvenir gift purchased at one of these markets.

This is the official recognition that Christmas is finally here in my book. Whether I’m in Nuremberg, Dusseldorf, Strasbourg, Zurich or Vienna, there is something strikingly familiar about these communal gatherings. Perhaps it’s the old-fashioned squares in which they often take place or it’s the anticipation of what you will find down each row of stalls.

Either way, when I flip the page on my calendar to December, I get excited about planning which market I will attend this year. And 2008 will take me to the Zurich Christmas Market. While nothing can top Nuremberg’s famous festival or Strasbourg’s winding-through-the-old-town charm, I’m looking forward to seeing how the Swiss celebrate. My findings are forthcoming, but in the meantime, sip some gluhwein and toast to the holiday season in honor of our smart European friends.

1 comments:

McDyer said...

My friend Harry Hartel and I were talking, and we are enjoying living vicarious through your articles. Keep them coming, Mr. Qubein.