Tuesday, January 20, 2009

U.S. Airways Compensates Flight 1549 Passengers, Is Really, Really Sorry About That Whole 'Crash' Thing

The perceived lost for an airline crash -- in terms of per capita, assuming everyone survives, natch -- is probably pretty high when you factor in all the luggage that goes missing. So it stands to reason that U.S. Airways will be reimbursing everyone involved in the Flight 1549 Hudson River fiasco to the full extent.

Or not.

U.S Airways has sent $5,000 checks to each of the 150 passengers on the Charlotte-bound Flight 1549 to compensate them for lost luggage and other belongings.
But hey, at least they got a letter!

In a letter sent to passengers, an airline executive said she was "truly sorry." The letter also explained that passengers' belongings left in the plane could be stuck with investigators for months.

The airline also said it would reimburse passengers for their ticket costs.

Look, not to knock the airline's policy here, but, um, it seems a little short of "fair." When I travel, I'm usually sporting, at minimum, about $4,000 worth of electronic gear. That's not counting all the clothes that I'm bringing on a trip, any souvenirs I purchased or the Honus Wagner rookie baseball cards I don't leave home without*. Or the diamond collection I carry in my luggage at all times*.

But seriously, what about the time spent sitting in the Hudson freaking River? I get that economy stinks, and that everyone lived so we should be happy, but these people won't see their stuff again for a long, long while and, frankly, even if/when it shows up, assuming it's in good condition, I'm willing to be that five grand doesn't cover the bill for most of the people on the flight.

*Just in case this every happens to me, the proof is out there.

4 comments:

IH Slim said...

What about the time it will take you to, say, locate a replacement for your Honus Walker baseball card? There's a cost associated with the time it will take to replace the things in your suitcase, and that's separate from their dollar value. I travel a lot; I take along a collection of inexpensive conveniences (e.g. cellphone charger) that would be time-consuming, at best, to replace. And another thing: any passenger who accepts the airline's $5K payout is giving up their right to sue the airline, Airbus, or anyone else - which may be the "cheapest" aspect of this, of all!

Unknown said...

How absolutely vindictive can one get? The airline didn't have to reimburse anything, let alone $5K. That's why YOU buy insurance! Wake up and smell the roses...

Unknown said...

Hey, I have an idea. Why don't you sue the birds that brought down the flight? Bird brains....

SwanDog said...

I work in Management for a major airline. US Airways was just getting money into the hands of all effective passengers so they fulfill their immediate needs. I have settle so many bags claims, and the most I ever had paid was around $2ooo over the past 11 years. It will take several weeks and months to settle with a majority of the passengers, so don't jump to conclusion. A little advise, only take what you need to travel and can afford to lose, and it is idiotic to carry irreplacable or items of great emotional value. Leave the baseball card at home, if you need it at the destination, send it by secured carrier. Believe me I know what it is like to have all you items lost with my own airline.