Friday, November 21, 2008

Canadian Courts Respect the Rights of, um, Heavier Folks

Canadian courts instituted a ruling last week that could have long ranging effects on the world of travel. Specifically, they decided that people of a heavier nature who decided to travel on airplanes were worthy of two seats ... for the price of one.

Obese people have the right to two seats for the price of one on flights within Canada, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled on Thursday.

The high court declined to hear an appeal by Canadian airlines of a decision by the Canadian Transportation Agency that people who are "functionally disabled by obesity" deserve to have two seats for one fare.

My initial reaction to this was "Poppycock!" Because, frankly, it's a fun word to say. Well, that and I don't like obesity being declared a disability when it's something that's relatively controllable. Also, I don't like it when people get free stuff and I'm not included, especially when I would always love to have two seats on an airplane.

But then I thought back to the last time I sat next to a heavy person on an airplane -- I was window, she was in the middle, and let's just say that I wasn't really ever able to get comfortable while flying. Had the young lady next to me been given an additional seat, per Canadian law, we would have avoided by iPod being squished, all of the awkward glares, me smelling Cheetos at 2 in the morning and I would have actually gotten some sleep.

So, hurray Canada. And your chubby laws.

0 comments: